"You are watching me, aren't you?" - DIO, Heritage for the Future (DIO, ディオ)
Shadow The World, often shortened and commonly referred to as STW, is the non-canonical Stand used by Shadow DIO, a secret playable character featured in the game JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Heritage For The Future. This Stand also has a shiny variant of itself: Retro Shadow The World.
Shadow The World has a golden, almost yellowish outline, and a humanoid build, however, there is only half of Shadow The World's actual body for its model. Its appearance is based on the silhouette of The World; however, instead of being black and opaque, like shadows generally are, it is transparent and has a golden outline. It wears a headpiece covering its face to below the place of its nose, slanting at a steep angle from the base of its forehead to a peak situated above the rear of its head by about half its height, leaving the face of an inverted triangle visible to the front; somewhat similar to the Red Crown of Egypt.
Much of its lower body has faded away/has the effect of fading away, like a hologram, similar to that in Heritage For The Future. This Stand has also gone through many color changes, starting with black, then yellow, then black again, then a gradient from light blue to pink, and finally to yellow again.
As for its Shiny version, Retro Shadow The World's color scheme is made out of a gradient with pale purple and white colors. It shines and is more similar to a ghost instead of a silhouette. The inspiration for this Shiny comes from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Heritage for the Future.
|Type of Ability||Name||Description|
|The user has two movesets corresponding to Stand Mode: Off and Stand Mode: On, which the user can switch between at any time by pressing Z or Left Control. Stand Mode: Off has higher overall damage and two projectile attacks but less melee range, and Stand Mode: On has higher melee range at the cost of lower damage and no projectile attacks. The user's current mode can be seen by a small notice in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
The user can only roll with Stand Mode: Off and can only block with Stand Mode: On.
|The user has a walkspeed of 18 rather than the default 16.|
|The player jabs the opponent at an extremely fast rate only dealing moderate damage. On the bright side, the attack stuns slightly and slows the opponent down. This is good for making sure your opponent doesn't escape your combos. The animation for this attack is a reference to DIO/Shadow DIO's low jab from Heritage for the Future.|
|The user quickly throws two pairs of knives that do 12.5 damage each with a cooldown of around 5 seconds. This move is pretty good if you want to chip away an opponent's health. Try using this when your enemy is far away.
Note: you cannot move while using this ability.
|With the aid of Shadow The World, the user throws 8 knives each doing 10 damage in the direction they're facing, dealing a good amount of damage if all knives hit. Keep in mind that Stand Mode must be on to time stop and off to use this move. You cannot use this in another player's time stop.|
|The user jabs forward a good distance with their left arm, dealing good damage but small knockback.|
|While in air, the player quickly dashes forwards, punching the first enemy that they come in contact with while at the same time knocking them back and dealing moderate damage. This is one of the most important moves in Shadow The World's gameplan, as you can combo it with almost every other move, such as F.|
|The user grunts and kicks the enemy doing knockback into the air (which can allow air combos). If used right, this can turn into a time stop combo.|
|The player covers their eyes for a few seconds, channeling pressurized fluid into their eyes. Soon after, they bend back and fire two fast laser-like projectiles from their eyes which pierce the opponent and deal great damage. However, if the move is charged, they will instead fire two red laser-like projectiles that deal superior damage on contact.|
|The player tilts back and then performs a powerful arching swing forwards, dealing incredible damage. This move can be canceled when someone hits you while you are looking up. but you still block the damage. Therefore, you won't get ragdolled.|
|The player pushes themselves off the ground, traveling a good distance forwards. This dash is similar to Kars and Vampire's dash move.|
|The user poses for a second and releases a white ball of light, stunning and damaging everybody near the user. This move has bypassing properties.
Note: The bubble may be small, but the hitbox can be bigger.
|Plunge your arm into your target and hold them into the air before throwing them forward a good distance. Like other bloodsucks, this move heals the user by 25 HP for each enemy it hits. However, unlike other bloodsucks, the user cannot move or attack while sucking the target's blood.|
|Shadow the World will manifest punch the enemy doing light damage.|
|Shadow The World will temporarily manifest and will do a shadowy uppercut that deals great damage and superior knockback. This could've been inspired by the stomach punch from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Heritage For The Future. With V, this can allow surprise attacks.|
|Shadow The World temporarily manifests and punches the target three times in quick succession. This also darkens the target's view and slows them down with each hit, similar to Gold Experience's Prohibiting MUDA Blow.|
|The user stops time for only 2 seconds, but in return, the move has a lower cooldown of 25 seconds. During stopped time, Double Knife Volley turns into Timed Knife Throw.|
|This skill is a countermove. Once pressed, you will immediately turn around and hold a book and a glass of wine. If you are attacked while this skill is in effect, you will teleport behind the attacker's back and stun them with the same affect as Triple Shadow Combo. Rarely, the ragdoll effect of an attack can still affect you.
If the counter doesn't take effect within 5 seconds, the user stops posing and can move and attack again. Note: This does not work on projectiles (excluding SPSO's spear throw) or attacks with bypassing properties. The counter can still take effect while in Soft & Wet's Bubble Trap.
|Teleport to where your cursor is. This move can allow for sudden attacks and fast combos for this Stand. After using this, Shadow Uppercut is given an extra second of cooldown. This move will not work if your cursor is pointed <50 studs away from you.|
General Combat Knowledge:
Shadow The World is known for having many moves which when many of them combined, can make great combos. STW is a rare Stand, along with TA4 and many others. After being nerfed, STW is losing value. STW is still a very powerful Stand for 1v1s and tournaments, if you use it correctly. Since STW has many moves, there are many combos you can make by yourself. STW's block isn't as effective as other Stands, but it is useful when you are being barraged or when you can't dodge an attack. Shadow The World has a counter move (Stand Mode On: H) that can be used in 1v1s (note that OHs' T move and GERs can bypass it). STW used to have a very low durability, but it has received a health buff along with all other Stands, as a way to make up for removing the regeneration passive. Using B can cancel barrages, so this is helpful against TA4s and GERs.
Teleport is very useful, It may have short range but you can use it to escape from the opponent. However, since an update, STW received a balance and is unable to attack instantaneously when teleporting. It may not seem like much. One way to avoid the "time stop stun" is to use a move before you teleport (e.g. Shadow Uppercut) which allows you to exploit the hitbox of a move so that when you teleport, the hitbox follows you, thus allowing you to hit the opponent. When you do this the "time stop stun" will be broken allowing you to do a move even though you already teleported.
You cannot move during your Q or T. So try to use them from far distances. The Q and T move won't damage the opponent if he is 1 stud or nearer from you. You can steal other people's time stops. This is not likely an intended feature. It can be performed by time-stopping before someone else begins their windup to stop time. This only works because of ping. It's hard to explain, but this is the best way to put it; the game has a mechanic where nobody can stop time after someone else has stopped time for a short period. This period immediately starts when a time stop windup begins. Once someone's time stop is stolen, they cannot move in it and you can spam all your knives, lasers, etc. Every time stop can be stolen except another Shadow The World's. This is a glitch similar to the old one, before Global Time Stop Cooldown was added.
You have the advantage here, since TW:OH is almost the exact same as SP:OH. TW:OH has lots of health due to its durability being S making it very tanky, use your projectiles to zone out the TW:OH and try to avoid going into close range combat. The only thing you should watch out for is TW:OH knives as they do a lot of damage especially if the enemy is at low health. Also watch out for TW:OH H move since it is a ranged attack and deals quite a bit of damage.
You have a huge advantage here, your speed will completely outclass SP:OH. However, SP:OH is tanky and also a heavy hitter, so try and not to engage in close combat too much. Chip damage is HIGHLY recommended, so SRSE (Space Ripper Stingy Eyes) and Double Knife Volley excel here. If you TS and then use knives (better for dealing with a SP:OH), you can take a lot of its health.
Very even match up, Kars wins at the health and damage department, while you win at the movement and range department. Kars is a very close ranged spec with only 1 projectile that is very hard to hit, try and zone the Kars out with projectiles and try to not get too close as they will shred you with their barrage. Because Kars only has one projectile move, they usually falls in Shadow The World's counter move. Again, try not to engage in close quarters/combat too much.
Pretty much the same as Kars, However Samurai does have the advantage of being slightly faster than you. Most Samurais run and hit players so when a Samurai gets too close try to use the F move STAND OFF which allows you to ragdoll the Samurai and use combos. When the samurai is running, try to gain distance and use your ranged moves, however, this can be punished because Samurai has One ranged move very similar to Kars' ranged move. When the Samurai does the dash move (F move for Samurai) try to Dodge (C key) or dash (V key) in order to dodge it. Try to use the dash/teleport and counters frequently and also try to hide in obstacles in order to cut sight from the Samurai seeing your time stop pose.
Regardless, we do need to give this Stand a notice against Shadow The World. This Stand does not have that much range or power but can counter Shadow The World if used properly. The T move is countered, so you have to start running. With enough skill it is highly possible to defeat Shadow The World.
Due to STW having an allergy to Hamon, you can easily punish them if you land their moves, you are out-matched by movement though. You can be punished very easily if you can't land your moves or have bad timing. Do not use Hamon's barrage, STW can easily escape your barrage, you are also slow when you barrage, letting the STW to counter you. Try to land your sword as much as possible, because the vampiric passive "Undead Prey" and "Hamon Allergy" can take away 50-80% of STW's health if the sword hits. If used correctly, you can defeat a STW very quickly.
As a STW, Joseph Hamon pretty much counters you in every single way. It is able to damage you from range, mess up combos, and can slightly out-speed you. Not only that, it can do extra damage due to you having a Hamon allergy. If you're at a range, do not attempt to stand still. The JH user will likely attempt to use either the Thompson or Clacker Volleys. If they attempt to use the Thompson, try to move in close so that you can get a combo in, as they cannot move while using it (however they can easily cancel the Thompson it and use their Z move). If you're close to them, watch out for their Stomach Punch and Rope Trick, as these will easily screw you over. Lastly, try to use combos that knock down the opponent a lot, as they can easily use the Hermit Purple Block if they get back up. If they do try to use the Hermit Purple Block, use either Double Knife Volley or Space Ripper Stingy Eyes, as all projectiles bypass through the Hermit Purple.
- STAND OFF Y + Z + R EASY
- STAND OFF V + R + Q EASY
- STAND OFF E + R + Q EASY
- STAND OFF R + F + T EASY
- STAND OFF SPACE + E + F EASY
- STAND OFF R + SPACE + E EASY
- STAND OFF R + SPACE + E + B EASY
- STAND OFF SPACE + E + Z + E EASY
- STAND OFF LMB + E + R + F EASY
- STAND ON F + Z + T + Q EASY
- STAND ON F + Z + Q + F EASY
- STAND OFF R + SPACE + E + Q + F MEDIUM
- STAND OFF R + SPACE + E + Z + E MEDIUM
- STAND OFF R + SPACE + E + Z + E + Z + F MEDIUM
- STAND ON R + Z + E + Z + E MEDIUM
Pros and Cons:
- Great damage output.
- Godly combo potential.
- Very versatile.
- Very good mobility.
- Low cooldowns.
- Has a counter.
- Can stop time.
- Can teleport.
- Gains an extra move in time stop.
- Shortest time stop in-game.
- Cannot move when using ranged attacks.
- Can't avoid an opponent's time stop.
- Counter often doesn't teleport you behind the attacker.
- Certain moves have a long windup.
- Vampiric Rush can be easily countered.
- Stand Off melee moves have small range.
- Certain abilities can still attack you while using Bloodsuck.
Shadow The World
- Voicelines: Shadow The World's voice lines are: "...You are watching me?!" and, "You are next.", which are lines taken directly from Shadow DIO in HFTF.
- Voicelines: Retro Shadow The World's voice lines are: "You are watching me, aren't you?!", "..." and "I understand you have a power most mortals do not.", which are lines taken directly from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crudasers.
- When the user dies, they will yell, "GYAAAGH...GYAAAGH...GYAAAGH...GYAAAGH...", as a death sound.
- This is of course, the death sound of Shadow DIO in HFTF.
- When posing, the user will gain a star-shaped particle effect on their shoulder, representing the Joestar birthmark, referencing DIO stealing Jonathan's body. DIO's pose in the picture from Part 3 of the Anime: Stardust Crusaders also shows the birthmark.
- It is revealed that in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable, DIO obtained this Stand from being pierced with Enya the Hag's bow and arrow.
- STW has grunt sounds for being ragdolled. This also makes it the first Stand to introduce pain grunts without being killed first.
- The Shadow Combo has the name "World 21" in Heritage for the Future.
- "Charisma!" previously had bloody red tentacles come out of the user and attack players in an AoE, but was changed to what it is now, likely for performance reasons.
- STW has the shortest Time Stop duration and cooldown.
- When The Scale of Horror is successfully activated, the user says, "Omae no hoshii mono wa, nanda?" which means, “What is it that you desire?" The ability itself is a reference to when Hol Horse tries to shoot DIO in the head, but DIO stops time and goes behind him. However, the voice line and the idea of DIO holding a book and a glass of wine are from Heritage For the Future.
- When the user successfully hits someone with Draining Grab, the user will say, "Jitsuni nazimuzou!", which means, "It really suits me!".
- STW is the only Stand whose time stop animation is longer than the time stop itself.
- STW used to actually be a Shiny for Vampiric The World upon release, the name being 'The World (Shadow)'. This version of VTW had a gray and black body and its Barrage and Strong Punch had the echo effect for the voices. This version of STW was very quickly changed into the very first unique version of STW, having nearly all its moves completely changed with the exception of its F move which was a side-grade to most time stops.
- This is the only version of The World without a "Muda" sound effect.
- STW has been trough a lot of model changes, currently sitting at 5 changes.
- Although STW is supposed to be The World before DIO has mastered it, ironically, it's an evolution of Vampiric The World.
- This is the only non-shiny Stand that has lines from HFTF.
- Before a certain update, other moves could be used within the animation of Stand Off F and B.
Retro Shadow The World
- Despite Retro Shadow The World being a shiny of Shadow The World, which evolves from Vampiric The World, Retro Shadow The World does not evolve from Vampiric The World's Shiny,
- Retro Shadow The World SFX comes from the anime, instead of Heritage for the Future.
Stand Mode: OFF
Stand Mode: ON
Quick Jab/Sudden Punch Knife Volley High Kick Draining Grab (Nazimuzo!) Space Ripper Stingy Eyes "Charisma!" Vampiric Rush Attack
Shadow Uppercut/Shadow Combo/Left Click The World's Unknown Ability (Global) The World's Unknown Ability (Local) "Are you really trying to shoot me?" ("Scales of Horror") Time Stop Teleport Block
"..You are Watching me?!" "You are next."