"My heart is burning with the heat of a raging fire! Feel the resonating beat of my pulse! SUNLIGHT YELLOW OVERDRIVE!" - Jonathan Joestar (Jonasan Jōsutā, ジョナサン・ジョースター )
The Ripple/Hamon is a Spec added into A Bizarre Day that was featured in both JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Battle Tendency.
This spec has a multitude of uses, allowing a wide variety of fighting styles and tactics. Vampires are naturally weak to this energy, but Pillar Men have a resistance to it. (This also applies in-game, as you deal more or less damage to these specs).
Just like most Specs, Hamon does not have a physical appearance, only having visual effects when the user uses their abilities.
However, when Hamon Breathing (H) is used, sparks of yellow colored and electricity-like energy will generate on the player’s arms.
This can be seen by anybody, including people who don’t have stands (this applies to the manga and anime as well, since Hamon can be seen by regular human beings as well).
|Type of Ability||Name||Description|
|Hamon Energy goes down over time, unless you are using a move (including block) or restart the Breathing Technique. Only 2 moves are affected by Hamon Energy, which as of now are Sendō Chop (Q Key) and Hamon Infused Leap (Z Key) The higher Hamon Energy you have, The more your Sendō Chop move will deal damage. The higher Hamon Energy you have, the more distance you will travel with Hamon Infused Leap.|
|The player will passively regenerate health. It regenerates quite slow, so it is nothing to worry about if fighting a hamon user.|
|All attacks will deal 25% more damage toward Vampires. However, Hamon will deal 25% less damage to Kars and Santana users.|
|The player performs a Hamon-infused chop at a quick speed.|
|The player performs a barrage of moderately powerful, yet fast Hamon-infused punches.|
|The player strikes the opponent with a fast left hook, dealing a hefty amount of damage and knocking the opponent back a fair distance.|
|The player uses Hamon to dislocate the joints in their right arm and extend it to strike the target with a superior punch (about 25 damage). In addition to being able to deal damage from a longer distance, anybody hit by this move will be pulled in towards the player.|
|The user focuses and breathes carefully, producing Hamon energy and making it flow through their veins. This slowly charges your Hamon Energy meter, being the max number 20. The user can't move or attack while using this move. During the pose, yellow sparks will surround your arms.|
|The player pulls out Luck and Pluck, pulls it backward for a moment, then brings it down upon the opponent. Anyone struck by it is knocked back for a large amount and is dealt a godly amount of damage, giving you an extremely high advantage while fighting.|
|The player will do a horizontal leap. It is a lot smaller than a normal stand leap but has a lower cool down. This can allow chasing others more precisely or using moves in the air. The higher your Hamon energy, the farther your Hamon Infused leap will travel. If your Hamon energy is higher than 10, your leap will go farther than a normal Hamon Infused Leap.|
Ripple, also known as Hamon, is an energy that can be produced by trained individuals through controlled breathing. It originated from the ancient martial art, called Sendō. The energy created manifests as sparks of electricity, which can be seen by ordinary humans.
This energy has a variety of uses and can affect living and non-living things alike. Charging an object with Hamon energy will give it certain attributes, which will make it a better weapon or tool. Living beings are not immediately harmed by the energy, but are still affected by it.
Many well-known Jojo‘s Bizarre Adventure characters have their own unique fighting style, using Hamon energy. For example, Joseph Joestar uses Hamon-imbued clackers to strike his opponents. Caesar Zeppeli charges soap bubbles with Hamon energy to create deadly projectiles.
Since the energy produced by Hamon is similar to that of the sun, it can also be used to heal wounds.
Ripple is the main source of power for the protagonist and allies of Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency. It also makes an appearance in Stardust Crusaders.
Pros and Cons:
- Good damage
- Good combo potential
- Pretty short cooldowns on commonly used moves.
- Decent movement if Hamon is charged.
- Mediocore defense.
- Horrible movement if Hamon is not charged.
- Sendo chop is only powerful if Hamon is charged.
- Hamon will drain, unless you charge hamon or use Sunlight yellow Overdrive
- Viable in casual 1v1, but high level play will be extremely difficult
General Combat Knowledge:
Hamon isn't the strongest ability and doesn't have the most options however it can be lethal even if your opponent knows how it works. You should be careful when fighting or using this spec. Hamonic Blade is a high damaging move with a good range and a short cooldown, making it your main damage output. To be able to win a fight, you must be able to use this attack at the right times while also not using it as soon as your cooldown finishes as chances are your opponent can predict it. This move is best used when your opponent is freaking out or when they go tunnel vision trying to kill you at low health. Zoom Punch is surprisingly useful to keep opponents at bay rather than bring them closer towards you. People will usually see this attack coming and fall back, so you can use this to scare people off and reap the benefits of your health regen no matter how small it is. If it does land, you can combo into another attack which is usually Hamonic Blade. Hamon infused leap is good for catching your opponent off guard and giving you the chance to do some damage, so don't think its just a tool for running. Consider using it at random times to try to attack or use it immediately after running away for the best effects. Its also useful for extending combos, though this is hard to do. Sunlight Yellow Overdrive is incredibly fast and shouldn't be ignored. However, using this attack is a risk since unlike other barrages it doesn't have super armor so be careful. Use it from time to time to inflict a lot of damage quickly.
Hamon has a passive that allows you to regen health. Use this to your advantage during neutral. Hamon's attacks are extremely quick so you can punish people blindly attacking quite easily. Since your “stand leap“ is quick and sends you quite a bit forward, mobility shouldn't an issue for you allowing you to dodge or extend combos without much effort. If you want to charge your Hamon meter for a head start, block/pose to keep your energy.
- T > E/R/Q
- F/R > T > E/Q
- R > F > T > E > Q
- E > R > F
- F > T
- F > Z > T > R > E
- T > F (Bring your opponent close to you with Zoom Punch before destroying them with The Sword of Luck and Pluck. Since it has such a large hitbox, it's hard to escape it. This is the combo you should be using most of the time)
- T > R > Z > F (Bring your opponent close with Zoom Punch before smacking them away with Scarlet Overdrive. Do a Hamon Infused Leap to get close enough to land your Sword and send them to the moon. This move is harder to land considering Scarlet Overdrive's small hitbox so, hence the name, it is riskier to use and should only be used when you are confident it will hit. Also, you don't need to start the combo off with Zoom Punch and can instead just use Scarlet Overdrive.)
- E(Hold) > F > T
- H (Hold) > X (Hold) (Hold your hamon energy)
- Hamon was supposedly based on Jonathan's Hamon, but now the devs are calling it a "universal" type of Hamon.
- Hamon used to have Jonathan's voice lines and a simpler moveset. As of 4/13/2020, this has changed and the devs have stripped Hamon to become the basic version.
- Ripple is the main source of power for the heroes of Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency. It is also briefly featured in Stardust Crusaders.
- The pose shown in the image has existed since the first version of ABD, which was made on the 26th of August 2018.
- You can get Hamon if you use a Frog without a stand.
- Hamon is useful against vampires and DIO, however, it does less damage to Kars and Santana.
- Hamon used to be 50,000 lire, but it is now 20,000 lire.
- Hamon is the Japanese pronunciation of "Ripple" or "Breathing".
- This may soon get an upgrade with The Red Stone of Aja, which could give Joseph's Hamon.
- In the anime, Will Anthonio Zeppeli shows that Ripple allows a person to walk across water.
- As well as that, Ripple allows the user to walk over sharp objects like spikes (this feature is also available in Jojo's Bizarre Adventures: Eyes of Heaven if your Hamon gauge is filled up)
- On the Discord, it was suggested by the devs that a Zeppeli NPC might be how you upgrade your Hamon.
- There will be Hamon variations in the future.
- Sendō means "Way of the hermit" in Japanese.
- You can keep your Hamon energy by posing or by blocking.
- Turquoise Blue Overdrive is suggested to replace Hamonic Blade for its rework, however, it's unconfirmed as for now since Hamon will be getting tweaks.
- Zoom Punch is very similar to Star Platinum's Star Finger.
- This spec may have Variants coming soon.
Hamon old quote: